What is it?

Please let us know the tackle you used, the artificial or bait, and your technique. Please post pictures with you, fish, and tackle if possible, of your fish caught after November 1, 2006.
Post Reply
Ralph
Weekend Warrior
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:12 pm

What is it?

Post by Ralph »

I caught this in a lake in West Boca. Looks like a Mayan Chichlid to me but I didn't think they were found this far north. Anyone know what it is?

thanks,
Ralph

Image

Image

User avatar
GET THE NET!!!!
Seasoned Fisher
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:31 pm
Location: Broward brah brah

Re: What is it?

Post by GET THE NET!!!! »

Yes it is a mayan chiclid, good snook bait.
Team STIFF ROD

User avatar
PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA
Posts: 6785
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:52 pm
Location: 204 Miles From Long Key

Re: What is it?

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

I have mayans in the lake behind my house in West Palm.
Image

Ralph
Weekend Warrior
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:12 pm

Re: What is it?

Post by Ralph »

Thanks for the replies. I thought it was a Cichlid but I hadn't caught one before.

User avatar
Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER
Posts: 1545
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:58 pm
Location: 441 and Sandalfoot

Re: What is it?

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

Myan All the way!! :toast: Good to eat if your hungry enuf.
Image

safeman
Seasoned Fisher
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:48 am
Location: Boca Raton

Re: What is it?

Post by safeman »

Tons of Mayan in Lake Okeechobee. Small live one are great for giant catfish at night and 4-5lb American Eels relish them during the November run to sea!! The largest one of 4lb I caught in C-14. Caught 3lb Mayan while fishing for clown in Lake Osborne. You can actually catch near the ocean, they are bigger in the brackish water. Some of my Nicaraguan friends tell me they taste better in brackish then fresh! I used a small lures and the large Mayan seem to love that, worms always a winner! :happyfisherman:

Safeman: Sardines rule baby!!!

User avatar
yakfish100
Weekend Warrior
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:03 pm
Location: Palm Beach Gardens

Re: What is it?

Post by yakfish100 »

that's a wierd looking fish
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Post Reply

Return to “Freshwater Pics: Any fish caught in freshwater.”