Page 1 of 1

Fishing all week

Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:32 am
by cvstrat
My buddy Jacob came down to fish around Florida this week. So far we have fished Sebastian Inlet and Anglins pier. Wind has been relentless the last couple of days making the fishing rather miserable. We did see some reds, snook, and flounder caught at Sebastian, but nothing worth noting at Anglins besides one giant pomp that came over the rail.

Ended up hitting up the PE Jetty this morning. Surf looked good so we started there. I hooked up on a snooklet pretty quick. Jacob caught some fish I have no idea of what it is. Maybe you guys can help identify it.

We are headed down to the keys today. Looking at the weather it looks like it may be windy as hell again today but slowly calm down. We're going to try and get some fish from the bridges.

Honestly it's been pretty brutal fishing lately with almost nothing to show for about 3 days worth of time on the water. We will be near long key for the next few days, if anyone is in the area feel free to hit me up on here and we can fish.

I'll keep you guys posted how it's going. Hopefully it picks up.

Image

Image

Re: Fishing all week

Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:45 am
by PhishingPhanatic
The unknown one is called an Atlantic Threadfin (not to be confused with the threadfin herring). They are a somewhat common catch in the surf. Good luck in the Keys, it was windy this weekend, but the fish were chewing.

Re: Fishing all week

Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:53 am
by cudaman
keep going man, it will get better. Nice snook, :toast:

Re: Fishing all week

Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:47 pm
by cvstrat
Fished channel 2 through the night last night. We had to resort to buying shrimp from a grocery store due to the time. We had a leftover mack that had been on ice.

I hooked up on something pretty big on a shrimp on a Jighead. It wasbl pitch black so I couldn't see the piling he broke me off on. Jacob had a huge hit on a mack head. It was taking him out under the bridge and the knot slipped (which I had tied oops!!)

It was pretty quiet overall until this morning Jacob got hit again on a strip of mack. It immediately ran him under the concrete slabs whereby the little eddys form. He was still on so we tried to work him up and down to see if he'd come out but the leader wore though.

Tarpon were out late and were picking shrimp off of the surface but wouldn't touch our dead shrimp.


Going back tonight. Just curious why the tide chart said high tide was around 130 but it was running until almost daylight. I can't wrap my head around that one.

Time to go get some bait!

Re: Fishing all week

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:17 pm
by chris21
nice snook, been catching a lot of those lately in fresh and saltwater, what did he take?

Re: Fishing all week

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:53 pm
by swordfish
At some rare times, when the wind has been blowing for many days, the tide remains going one way, and instead all runs out through channel 5, which makes for a hell of a fast current there. I dunno the name of the phenomenon, but I have witnessed it.

-swordfish